Project Eternity: Oldschool RPG från Obsidian! PC/Mac/Linux

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Crusader

Crusader

Rumpadmiral

• 12,013 posts
  • Location:Osby, Skåne, Sverige, Europa, Jorden, Solsystemet, Wintergatan
  • Interests:Sci/Fi, Fantasy, Drama, Skräck, Kärlek/Romantik, Komedi... nog lättare att säga allt. :P

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:31

Obsidian har, som ni kanske har hört, startat ett projekt på Kickstarter.com där de ska skapa ett nytt Oldschool-isometriskt Fantasy RPG i samma stil som de gammla Infinity Engine spelen som Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape: Torment.
Spelet är tänkt att vara lika episkt och minnesvärt som Baldur's Gate, lika roliga, intensiva strider och dungeon diving som Icewind Dale och lika känslomässigt och vuxet skriven som Planescape: Torment.

Obsidian i sig skapades inte fören 2003 av resterrna från Black Isle Studios men teamet bakom spelet är samma som gjorde Fallout 1-2, New Vegas, Baldur's Gate, Planescape: Torment, Icewind Dale 1-2, Arcanum, Temple of Elemental Evil, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II - The Sith Lords, samt det kommande RPG South Park: The Stick of Truth.

Project Eternity will take the central hero, memorable companions and the epic exploration of Baldur’s Gate, add in the fun, intense combat and dungeon diving of Icewind Dale, and tie it all together with the emotional writing and mature thematic exploration of Planescape: Torment.
Combat uses a tactical real-time with pause system - positioning your party and coordinating attacks and abilities is one of the keys to success. The world map is dotted with unique locations and wilderness ripe for exploration and questing. You’ll create your own character and collect companions along the way – taking him or her not just through this story, but, with your continued support, through future adventures. You will engage in dialogues that are deep, and offer many choices to determine the fate of you and your party. …and you'll experience a story that explores mature themes and presents you with complex, difficult choices to shape how your story plays out.
We are excited at this chance to create something new, yet reminiscent of those great games and we want you to be a part of it as well.

Project Eternity is still early in development and we are still working on many of the cultures, factions, and ethnic groups of the world and debating many of the system concepts. However, there are certain fundamental things we want to let you know about the game and the setting for Project Eternity.

Your Party
The maximum party size is the player's main character (PC) and up to five companions for a total of six characters. This does not preclude the addition of temporary characters in special circumstances. Companions are never forced on the player. Players can explore the entire world and its story on their own if they so choose. We feel companions are excellent sounding boards for the player's (and other companions') actions, but the story is ultimately about the player's personal conflict among the larger social and political complexities of the world.

Formations
A key element of the classic party-based tactical combat that we are developing is the use of party formations. As in the good ol' games, you can arrange your party in a large number of set formations. You can also construct your own formations if you want to get fancy. When moving companions, you have the ability to rotate formations for more precise positioning.

Character Creation
At a minimum, players will be able to specify their main character's name, sex, class, race (including subrace), culture, traits, ability scores, portrait, and the fundamental starting options of his or her class (gear, skills, and talents). We have not worked out customization details of character avatars, but we believe those are important and will be updating on these specifics in the future.

Companions
In Project Eternity, companions exist for both narrative and mechanical purposes. Companions are designed to have a driving interest in the player's central conflict. Their personalities and motivations open plot branches and generate conflicts for players to resolve over the course of the story. They are highly reactive to the player's actions and to the world around them. Additionally, companions exist to give players strategic management options in party composition that expand the party's capabilities in exploration, combat, and quest resolution. It is no coincidence that there are at least as many companions as there are classes. As stated above, companions are not required to play through Project Eternity's story, but we feel that they can add greatly to the experience.

The Set-Up
The player witnesses an extraordinary and horrific supernatural event that thrusts them into a unique and difficult circumstance. Burdened with the consequences of this event, the player has to investigate what has happened in order to free themselves from the restless forces that follow and haunt them wherever they go.

The Nature of You
Your character is not required to be of any particular race, cultural background, sex, class, moral outlook, personality, organization, etc. The premise is that you are a victim of circumstance. How you choose to deal with your situation is up to you. You can bear it with stoicism and restraint or fly off in a rage at anyone who gets in your way. The world will react to your choices, but the game is designed to give you the freedom to play your character the way you want to.

Races
We are still developing the races of Project Eternity, but we are creating a range that encompasses the recognizable (e.g. humans, elves, dwarves), the out-of-the-ordinary (e.g. the so-called "godlike"), and the truly odd (?!). Races and subraces differ from each other culturally, but the races also have different physiological factors that can contribute to friction and confusion between them.

Within even the recognizable races (including humans), we are creating a variety of ethnic subtypes and nationalities. This world's races did not all spring forth from the same place, and millennia of independent development have resulted in distinctive and unconnected groups. For example, the dwarf ranger below, is originally from a southern boreal region that is quite different from the temperate homes of her distant kin to the north.

Additionally, Project Eternity's world contains some isolated races and ethnicities, but transoceanic exploration and cultural cohabitation have heavily mixed many racial and ethnic groups over time. This mixing is not always... peaceful. At times it has degenerated into genocide and long-standing prejudices are ingrained in many cultures.

Posted Image

Storleken på spelet är beroende på hur mycket pengar de kommer får in. Just nu är det 4 Raser (bla. humans, elves, dwarves samt underaser), 6 Klasser (bla. Warrior, Rogue, Mage) och 6 Companions som gäller samt en extra major storyline med extra NPC:er, quest osv.
Vid $1,8 milj. så får vi yttligare en Ras, Klass och Companion. (Avklarat)
Vid $2 milj. så får vi ett hus som vi kan dekorera själva. (Avklarat)
Vid $2,2 milj. så får vi flera timmars extra att spela med en ny region i spelet (typ expantion) med en ny faction, nya quests, NPC:er och en ny companion.

Pengarna har stömmat in i en rasande fart. De bad om $1,1 milj. och fick det under 24h. Nu är de uppe i $1,6 milj. och har 28 dagar kvar att sammla in mer.

Som vanligt får man nåt för pengarna man ger.
$25 ger dig nedladdning av spelet samt en Achievement och ett bonus ingame item som inte upprör balansen i spelet.
$35 ger dig samma som ovan + nedladdning av soundtrack och en bok i PDF format som fungerar som en player's handbook med info om companions, monster osv.
$65 ger dig samma som ovan + spelet i en box (utöver den digitala). (+ $15 för porto)

Det finns givetvis fler om man vill betala mer. ;)
För mer info eller för att gå med i projektet så gå in på deras Kickstarter sida. Som vanligt nså dras inga pengar från ditt konto fören Kickstartern avslutas 16:e Oktober och man kan när man vill under den tiden ändra vilken summa man vill ge.

Länk till Kickstarter sidan!
Spelets Hemsida!

Edited by Crusader, 26 September 2012 - 16:07.

Although my heart may be weak, it's not alone. It's grown with each new experience. And it's found a home with all the friends I've made. I've become a part of their heart, just as they've become a part of mine.
And if they think of me now and then, if they don't forget me, then our hearts will be one. I don't need a weapon. My friends are my power!
-Sora, Kingdom Hearts
Godzilla%20racing_zps1cj0z7fu.gif

#2 Crusader

Crusader

Rumpadmiral

• 12,013 posts
  • Interests:Sci/Fi, Fantasy, Drama, Skräck, Kärlek/Romantik, Komedi... nog lättare att säga allt. :P

Posted 21 September 2012 - 21:21

$1,8 milj. är nu avklarad så vi får yttligare en Ras, Klass och Companion till spelet. :)

Lite mer info om spelet:

Souls

As we hinted at in our pitch videos, souls are A Big Deal in Project Eternity's world. The mortal world has not unlocked all of the secrets of how souls "work" and differing schools of metaphysical philosophy can be found in virtually every culture. What is known is that sapient souls move through an endless cycle of waking life and purgatorial slumber among the gods. Often this slumber lasts for years of "real" time, but occasionally it is brief, with a soul immediately moving on to a new life.
Far from being a flawless process, souls are subject to "fracturing" over generations, transforming in myriad ways, and not quite... working right. Some cultures and individuals place a high value on "strong" souls, souls with a "pure" lineage, "awakened" souls that remember past lives, "traveled" souls that have drifted through the divine realms, or those that co-exist with other souls in one body. However, the opposite is also true, resulting in negative discrimination and sometimes outright violence.
Through a variety of techniques (e.g. martial training, meditation, ritualistic evocation, mortification of the flesh), some individuals are able to draw upon the energy of their soul to accomplish extraordinary feats. These abilities range from the mundanely superhuman to the explosively magical. Having a strong soul seems to make this easier, but sometimes even people with fragmented souls are able to accomplish the extraordinary. The individual's body seems to act as a conduit and battery for this power, drawing in replenishment from seemingly omnipresent "fields" of unbound spiritual energy in the world around them.
Thinkers, spiritualists, and scientists of the world have theorized for thousands of years about the nature and purpose of this process, but others have turned to prayer for answer. Rather than illuminate the presumed higher purpose of this cycle, the gods have obfuscated the truth, at times spreading cosmological lies, pitting believers and empowered chosen agents against each other, and tacitly approving the prejudices of their followers to maintain power.
Whatever the fundamental nature of mortal souls is, the people of the world accept the reality of what they have observed: that all mortal bodies contain perceptible energy bound to the individual, and that once they die, their energy will move forward in the eternal cycle that they are all a part of -- that as far as they know, they have always been a part of.
Technology

The cultures of Project Eternity are in a variety of different technological states. Though some remote civilizations are still in the equivalent of Earth's Stone Age or Bronze Age, most large civilizations are in the equivalent of Earth's high or late Middle Ages. The most aggressive and powerful civilizations are in the early stages of what would be our early modern period, technologically, even if they are not culturally undergoing "Renaissance"-style changes.
For most large civilizations, this means that all of the core arms and armor of medieval warfare have reached a high level of development: full suits of articulated plate armor, a variety of military swords, war hammers, polearms, longbows, crossbows, and advanced siege weaponry. Architecturally, these cultures also employ technologies found in Earth's Gothic structures, allowing them to create towering vertical structures.
The most recent technologies seeing use in the world are ocean-going carrack-style ships and black powder firearms (notably absent: the printing press). Cultures with large navies and mercantile traffic are exploring the world, which has led to contact with previously-unknown lands and societies and settlement in new lands. Despite their intense drive, these explorers have been restricted from aggressive long-range exploration by monstrous sea creatures that pose a lethal, seemingly insurmountable threat to even the stoutest, most well-armed ships.
Black powder firearms are of the single-shot wheellock variety. Largely considered complex curiosities, these weapons are not employed extensively by military forces. Their long reload times are considered a liability in battles against foes that are too monstrous to drop with a single volley, foes that fly or move at high speed, and foes that have the power of invisibility. Despite this, some individuals do employ firearms for one specific purpose: close range penetration of the arcane veil, a standard magical defense employed by wizards. The arcane veil is powerful, but it does not react well to the high-velocity projectiles generated by arquebuses and handguns. As a result, more wizards who previously relied on the veil and similar abjurations have turned to traditional armor for additional defense.

Edited by Crusader, 21 September 2012 - 21:23.

Although my heart may be weak, it's not alone. It's grown with each new experience. And it's found a home with all the friends I've made. I've become a part of their heart, just as they've become a part of mine.
And if they think of me now and then, if they don't forget me, then our hearts will be one. I don't need a weapon. My friends are my power!
-Sora, Kingdom Hearts

#3 Crusader

Crusader

Rumpadmiral

• 12,013 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 14:46

Goda nyheter för de som vill spela storyn men undvika strider så mycket som möjligt.

Most role-playing games can be divided into two sets of mechanics: those rules you use in combat and those you don't. For many people, an RPG is really defined by its combat. These people spend most of their time killing things and taking their loot, and leveling up is just a means to kill bigger things and get better loot. But for other people, an RPG is about the elements of the game they experience when not in combat. It's about the NPC's they talk with, the places they travel to, and the choices they make, including the choice to avoid combat altogether.
Non-Combat Abilities

Let's talk first about your goals as a player, about the things you would like to do besides fighting. Then I'll talk about our design goals and explain how we are putting the non-combat systems together.
Player Goals
When you are not fighting, that's when non-combat abilities come into play. We plan to add abilities that will let you become better at achieving four different non-combat goals.

• Learning new things. This includes finding out previously unknown information, like the location of town or a hidden door, or uncovering secret knowledge, like a potion recipe or the true name of a demon. Or maybe you just want to know a good place to gather materials like ore or herbs. We will make abilities that let you find things out.
  • Traveling around the world. You will want to improve your movement capabilities (such as sneaking around some ruins), or traveling across the world map faster or more safely, or even teleporting directly to your destination. And sometimes movement requires removing barriers like locks or traps, so you will need some way to unlock and disarm. We'll add abilities for these actions.
  • Getting new items. If you are not going to kill a creature to take its things, then we will give you the means to make new items, buy them, or steal them. Or maybe you will choose to support NPC's by bringing them the materials or the recipes needed to make new items for you. We congratulate you on your non-violent and cooperative plans of wealth acquisition, and we'll give you the means to do it.
  • Interacting with companions. Once we have added many interesting and useful NPC companions, we will have to give you ways to recruit them, improve their usefulness, and keep them from dying (or even worse, disliking you!). We will make non-combat abilities that interact with your companions, so you can keep them alive and filled with a grudging respect for you.
Now each of these goals represents a whole slew of related non-combat abilities. For example, for player traveling, we could have all kinds of abilities, including stealth and teleport abilities, as well as abilities to make world map travel faster, less likely to have encounters, and able to make use of alternate transportation routes such as over mountains using passes or over water using ships.

Design Goals
In putting together our non-combat system, we have made a list of goals for the design of these skills and the rules they need to follow.
  • Non-combat skills are gained separately from combat skills. You shouldn't have to choose between Magic Missile and Herbalism. They should be separate types of abilities, and you should spend different points to get each one.
  • Non-combat skills do not use the same resources as combat skills. You don't spend the same stuff for a non-combat skill as you do for combat skills. Some don't use anything at all to use, so you will never find yourself unable to blast an opponent if you get caught sneaking.
  • All non-combat skills are useful. If we add lockpicking to the game, we will make sure that there are locks to pick and worthwhile rewards for getting past them.
  • All non-combat skills can be used frequently. If you take disarm traps as a skill, you should expect more than two traps in the entire game world. Frequency of application has a large impact on how useful something is.
  • Combat can be avoided with non-combat skills. There will often be ways to avoid fighting. Yes, we will have the standard methods of talking your way out of a fight or sneaking around an encounter, but there will be other ways too. Perhaps you can re-sanctify a desecrated cemetery to prevent any further undead from rising, or maybe figuring out a way across a ruined bridge will always avoid the bandits on this side of the river.
  • Avoiding combat does not lead to less experience gain. You shouldn't go up levels any slower by using your non-combat skills rather than your combat skills. We plan to reward you for your accomplishments, not for your body count.
We are still in the early design stages, but our plan is for non-combat abilities to make the game as fun and enjoyable outside of combat as it is in the heat of battle.

De har också postat artwork på en Human Fighter karaktär som kommer ha en väldigt viktig roll i spelet.

Posted Image

Chris Avellone kommer skriva en novel som utspelar sig i spelvärlden och man får den om man ger $50 eller mer.

Edited by Crusader, 25 September 2012 - 09:17.

-Sora, Kingdom Hearts

#4 Crusader

Crusader

Rumpadmiral

• 12,013 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 16:08

$2 Miljoner nådda! :)
-Sora, Kingdom Hearts

#5 Crusader

Crusader

Rumpadmiral

• 12,013 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 21:34

$2.2 Miljoner! :)

Ny art på NPC!

Posted Image

Och nu kan ni njuta av soundtracket till pressentations videon HÄR!
-Sora, Kingdom Hearts

#6 Crusader

Crusader

Rumpadmiral

• 12,013 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 17:58

Glöm inte att gilla Obsidians Facebook sida! Når vi upp till 20000 så får vi en extra nevå på bonus dungeon Endless Paths. :)
Berätta för era vänner. Det kostar ju inget att gilla. ;)

Nu har de fått in $2,4 milj. vilket betyder att vi nu får Crafting och Enchanting i spelet. Alltså möjligheten att skapa egna saker och att skapa egna magiska grejor.

Bara 9 dagar kvar så glöm inte att ge nu medans du kan. Spelet kommer vara betydligt dyrare när det släpps!

Nu har de bekräftat att Project Eternity kommer få en riktig expation som kommer släppas ca. 6 månader efter spelet's release.
Den ingår också, tillsammans med Wastelands 2, om man ger $165 på Kickstarter.
Men då många reagerade lite negativt på att det var så högt så har de sagt att de ska fundera på att sätta expantion som en Add-on. (Add-on är när man lägger till en viss summa till det man redan har givit)

Dessutom, en ny bild på en NPC:

Posted Image

En PC-Gamer artikel som berättar det viktigaste om spelet.

Edited by Crusader, 08 October 2012 - 23:05.

-Sora, Kingdom Hearts

#7 Crusader

Crusader

Rumpadmiral

• 12,013 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 14:34

$2.6 Miljoner gränsen är nu uppnådd. :)

Vid nästa ($2.7 Miljoner) så får vi 2 extra klasser.

Dessutom finns nu möjligheten att lägga till $20 för att få första Expantionen när den släpps (ca. 6 månader efter spelet släpps).

Bara 5 dagar kvar att ge pengar!
-Sora, Kingdom Hearts

#8 Crusader

Crusader

Rumpadmiral

• 12,013 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 21:38

Första bilden från spelet:

Posted Image

Och så ännu en artwork bild på en NPC:

Posted Image

Edited by Crusader, 12 October 2012 - 21:48.

-Sora, Kingdom Hearts

#9 PredaBot

PredaBot

Rear Admiral

• 2,983 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 02:47

Intresset är svagt på detta forum... Har följt projektet något på avstånd själv. Var aldig nåt jättefan av såna här spel.

Ska bli intressant att se om detta, och andra kickstarter-projekt, blir något bra. =)

Förresten... är grafikmotorn en sån där som använder förrenderad grafik, eller? Ungefär som gamla Diablo 2 och Baldurs gate då.

#10 Crusader

Crusader

Rumpadmiral

• 12,013 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:01

Nej. Den kan men det är ingen begränsning. Det är en billig motor men det görs FPS som t ex Interstellar Marines på den också också. Men stilen de vill härma är den av just Baldurs Gate fast med bättre och mer rörliga bakgrunder. Så det kommer bli förrenderad grafik fast mer levande.

Jo, intresset har varit jättesvagt här vilket är orsaken att jag tröttnade på att uppdatera. Spelet har annars slått alla Kickstarter rekord som det mäst framgångsrika insamlandet med över $4 miljoner och kommer bli det största spelet av dess slag någonsin så från att vilja hylla de klassiska RPGn som Baldur's Gate så kommer den slå dem istället. :P Spelet kommer bla ha 2 stora städer, en mega Dungeon på 15 levels, extra regioner och orkestermusik. Det lär bli något fantastiskt.
Hade hellre velat haft det turordningsbaserat men med paussystem så går det bra ändå. :)
-Sora, Kingdom Hearts

#11 Kizmiaz

Kizmiaz

Wanderer of the Wastes

• Aktiv member
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:42

Mja, om intresset är svagt så beror det mest på att min hårdvara börjar bli väl föråldrad för att köra nyare spel, och ärligt talat har väl också mitt spelintresse falnat lite med åren, så jag ids inte hålla på och uppdatera den eller köpa ny. :bang:

Men det här är ju helt klart ett av de spel som antagligen kommer att införskaffas så småningom, när Can you run it? säger att jag kan. :)
../l、 Getting old is when a narrow waist and a broad mind change places!
(゚、 。 7
 l、 ~ヽ You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!
 じしf_,)ノ

#12 Crusader

Crusader

Rumpadmiral

• 12,013 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 15:06

Tanken med spelet är att det ska fungera på äldre datorer också och att man inte ska behöva en ny dator för att spela det. :)

När det gäller sidor som Can you run it? så tar jag alltid dem med en nypa salt då det finns många spel jag kan spela på Max men som de påstår att jag bara skulle kunna spela på det lägsta.
-Sora, Kingdom Hearts