37 replies to this topic

#1 Cartman

Cartman

Deputy Admiral

• Aktiv member
  • 10,210 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 13:30

Preacher IMDb

Finns inte så mycket information än så länge, men jag tycker att vi kan starta upp en tråd iaf. Preacher är något av det bästa jag läst och jag är till viss mån intresserad av att den ska bli tv-serie/film

The Hollywood Reporter - HBO hath Preacher adaptation

HBO has seen the light and is bringing "Preacher" to the small screen.

The pay cable network is developing a one-hour series based on the popular 1990s Vertigo comics series. Mark Steven Johnson, the writer-director behind comic adaptations "Daredevil" and the upcoming "Ghost Rider," is writing the pilot, while Howard Deutch is attached to direct. Johnson and Deutch will executive produce along with Michael De Luca, George Agusto, Chris Bender and JC Spink.

"Preacher," which ran from 1995-2000, told the story of a down-and-out Texas preacher possessed by Genesis, a supernatural entity conceived by the unnatural coupling of an angel and a demon. Given immense powers, the preacher teamed with an old girlfriend and a hard-drinking Irish vampire and set out on a journey across America to find God — who apparently had abandoned his duties in heaven — and hold him accountable for his negligence.

The series was created by Irish-born writer Garth Ennis and British artist Steve Dillon, who will serve as co-executive producers. Ken F. Levin, who reps the duo, also will serve as co-exec producer.

The series — which developed a rabid fan base — was known for tackling religious and political issues, its dark and violent sense of humor and its observations of American culture. It also was one of the series that helped define Vertigo, the adult-oriented line of comics from DC Comics.

There have been several attempts to bring the comic to the screen, whether big or small, but nothing stuck. A movie version, to have been produced by Kevin Smith's View Askew, among others, got to the casting stage, with James Marsden attached for the title role and a reported budget of $25 million.

The project reunites Johnson with Deutch; Johnson wrote "Grumpier Old Men," which Deutch directed. Deutch's directing credits include TV's "Gleason," the pilot for "Melrose Place" and the 1986 film "Pretty in Pink." He is repped by ICM.

Johnson is repped by CAA.

Läste även denna spekulation som låter rätt lovande om den stämmer.

Comics2Film - Which directors are the "Preacher" producers going after?

Which directors are the 'Preacher' producers going after?
Well, the 'Preacher' series is still walking through the desert of HBO's indecision. Still my sources tell me that the producers of the show are still aggressively pushing forward.

With Howard Deutch recently ankling the show there's a vacancy in the director's chair. The folks behind the show are allegedly trying to go big...really big...and make 'Preacher' a showcase for some of the top directors in the business.

Last week we told you that Robert Rodriguez ('Sin City', 'Planet Terror') was at the top of the list. Now our inside man has laid hands on the rest of the wish list.

Are you sitting down? According to our source, the producers will approach (if they haven't already) the following:

Quentin Taranatino ('Death Proof', 'Kill Bill')
Neil Marshall ('Descent', 'Doomsday')
Juan Carlos Fresnadillo ('28 Weeks Later')
Alex Proyas ('Dark City', 'The Crow')
Danny Boyle ('Sunshine', '28 Days Later')
Brian De Palma ('The Black Dahlia', 'The Untouchables')
David Cronenberg ('A History of Violence', 'Eastern Promises')
Now, as far as we know this is just a wish list, but there isn't a name there whose new movie I wouldn't rush out to see.

If they attract one of these A-listers, would that help HBO say "yes" to the show?

#2 Kizmiaz

Kizmiaz

Wanderer of the Wastes

• Aktiv member
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 13:57

Heh, undrar vem som kommer att få spela Arseface? :P

Edited by Kizmiaz, 28 September 2007 - 13:58.

../l、 Getting old is when a narrow waist and a broad mind change places!
(゚、 。 7
 l、 ~ヽ You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!
 じしf_,)ノ

#3 Cartman

Cartman

Deputy Admiral

• Aktiv member
  • 10,210 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 14:49

Ja det blir nog svårt att hitta någon skådespelare som ser ut så på riktigt. ;)

#4 Kizmiaz

Kizmiaz

Wanderer of the Wastes

• Aktiv member
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 18:10

Vi har ju alltid den här? ^_^
../l、 Getting old is when a narrow waist and a broad mind change places!
(゚、 。 7
 l、 ~ヽ You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!
 じしf_,)ノ

#5 Cartman

Cartman

Deputy Admiral

• Aktiv member
  • 10,210 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 12:47

:o

Stackarn...

Har du några andra kandidater på skådespeklare som du gärna vill se gestalta någon av karaktärerna när serien nu blir TV-Serie?

Edited by Cartman, 01 October 2007 - 14:33.

#6 Fiskrens

Fiskrens

Social kameleont

• 4,025 posts
  • Interests:Fantasy, Familj, Rollspel, Sci-Fi, Karate, Film, Musik, Gitarrspelande i varierande ordning.

Posted 01 October 2007 - 15:17

Den här filmatiseringen ser jag fram mot - älskade serien när det begav sig. Fast den riskerar ju att bli magstark även med HBO-mått... :)
"It's only called paranoia if you can't prove it" - William Gibson

"It's more the way it is now than it's ever been" - Dwight David Eisenhower

"Typisk otur, Krydolf! När det regnar flyglar har den fattige inga noter" - Don Martin

#7 Cartman

Cartman

Deputy Admiral

• Aktiv member
  • 10,210 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 15:25

Serien är ju väldigt visuell och har en rätt så rå grafisk stil, men jag hoppas att dom kan återskapa det på ett bra sätt. HBO känns som ett bra hem för en TV-Serie av Preacher, det känns som att dom kan ta ut svängarna lite mera än vad en del andra TV-bolag kan göra.

Edited by Cartman, 01 October 2007 - 15:27.

#8 Fiskrens

Fiskrens

Social kameleont

• 4,025 posts
  • Interests:Fantasy, Familj, Rollspel, Sci-Fi, Karate, Film, Musik, Gitarrspelande i varierande ordning.

Posted 01 October 2007 - 15:31

Det fanns visst lite info som inte var postad: iF Magazine: MARK STEVEN JOHNSON FINDS RELIGION WITH 'PREACHER' - PART 1

"Typisk otur, Krydolf! När det regnar flyglar har den fattige inga noter" - Don Martin

#9 Cartman

Cartman

Deputy Admiral

• Aktiv member
  • 10,210 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 15:46

Har inte läst intervjun än men i min första post står det att Mark Steven Johnson är involverad som regissör till pilotavsnittet. Men det kanske inte var det du menade? :)

Edited by Cartman, 01 October 2007 - 15:54.

#10 Fiskrens

Fiskrens

Social kameleont

• 4,025 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 08:03

Nja, jo det var gammal info, medges. Men intervjun innehåller lite nya småsaker: att han och en av originalförfattarna skriver lite nytt material, och att han helst ser 'obelastade' skådisar i rollerna. Shane McGowan är alltså ute ur leken som Cassidy :P

Edited by Fiskrens, 02 October 2007 - 08:03.

#11 Georgia

Georgia

Synthare

• SuperMod
  • 15,336 posts
  • Interests:Depeche Mode
    Sci-Fi
    Fantasy

Posted 26 August 2008 - 22:18

HBO Kills Preacher Television Series | /Film
Posted on Tuesday, August 26th, 2008 at 1:49 pm by: Peter Sciretta

HBO has killed the planned television adaptation of Garth Ennis‘ popular Vertigo comic series Preacher. Mark Steven Johnson broke the news to ComicsContinuum, claiming that the project got to the budgeting stage before it was axed.

“The new head of HBO felt it was just too dark and too violent and too controversial. Which, of course, is kind of the point,” said Johnson. “It was a very faithful adaptation of the first few books, nearly word for word. They offered me the chance to redevelop it but I refused. I’ve learned my lesson on that front and I won’t do it again. So I’m afraid it’s dead at HBO.”

While this is sad news, I’m kind of glad that Johnson is off the project. After all, this is the same guy who made Ghost Rider and Daredeveil. I’m not sure I would like Johnson’s “faithful” adaptation. Johnson has heard that someone else “is in the process of getting the rights to turn it into a feature film.”

A film adaptation was once being developed at Kevin Smith’s production company - View Askew Productions, with James Marsden attached to play the lead. When the one-hour series was first announced in November 2006, Pretty in Pink director Howard Deutch named to helm the pilot episode. Robert Rodriguez was said to be one of the “many top-shelf directors interested in” helming an episode of the series. So I’m confident that the project will eventually get a green light somewhere.

But a television series seemed like such a great idea. My hope is that following the success of Dexter, that Showtime would make a play for a television adaptation. They certainly aren’t afraid of dark material. The only question is, do they have the budget.

The official plot synopsis from the graphic novel follows: “Here’s a book guaranteed to offend a bunch of people, not only because of its profuse profanity and graphic violence, but because it’s the epitome of iconoclasm. Like a brutal accident, you can’t watch but you can’t turn away. The story follows an ex-preacher man, Jesse, who has become disgusted with God’s abandoning of His responsibilities. So Jesse starts off into the wilds of Texas with his hitman girlfriend and new best friend (a vampire) to find God so that he can give Him a piece of his mind. Despite its superficial perversity, this book contains what may be the most moral character in mainstream comics. A cult hit in the making. Fans of Quentin Tarantino take note.”

The 75 issue comic book series was created by writer Garth Ennis and artist Steve Dillon, and published between 1995 to 2000.

Even the stars look brighter tonight - Nothing's Impossible
If you believe in love at first sight - Nothing's Impossible
I still believe in love at first sight - Nothing's Impossible // Nothing's Impossible - Depeche Mode 2005

* Lyssnar på just nu * Delar med mig * Twitter * DinoRPG *
Forumets kak- tårt- & glass monster ;)
>>Årets Kvinnliga Medlem 2006, 2007 & 2008<< >>Årets Moderator 2007 & 2008<<
>>Årets Shoppingkompass (=Årets Garv) 2009<<

Esseffennälg (pop.) - Skrivs egentligen SFN-älg och är en ytterst sällsynt ras av älg som enbart finns i vilt tillstånd på Sci-Fi Nytt.
Enstaka exemplar kan hittas också på Tv-land, men de brukar snabbt bli förvirrade och skynda sig tillbaka till Sci-Fi Nytt.

...och eftersom jag är karl kan jag inte multitaska och hålla två olika parallela universum i skallen samtidigt.

...jag förberedde mig på det värsta: dvs ett episkt prettodrama som Wylie och Synon antagligen skulle sucka nöjt över.

#12 Cartman

Cartman

Deputy Admiral

• Aktiv member
  • 10,210 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 12:06

Riktigt trist måste jag säga. Hoppas att det fortfarande blir av men jag måste säga att det inte ser speciellt ljust ut.

#13 Garm

Garm

Rear Admiral

• SuperMod
  • 3,785 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:17

Är det dags för projektet att röra sig framåt denna gång? Tiden får väl utvisa det.

AMC has reportedly ordered a pilot for a TV series adaptation of Garth Ennis' acclaimed graphic novel series Preacher.

Attempts have been made to adapt the material to the screen since the late 1990s, but none have come to fruition despite names like Sam Mendes and Darren Aronofsky attached to those various versions.

The one name that seems to be attached to this version? Seth Rogen.

The comedian recently tweeted "Looks like about seven of years of hard work are about to pay off. I may get to bring one of my favourite stories ever to life." He immediately followed that with "Arseface, John Wayne, The Saint of Killers" - the names of characters who appear in the "Preacher" comics.

If it goes forward, it would be another hit comic adaptation for the cable network following their success with The Walking Dead.

#14 Fiskrens

Fiskrens

Social kameleont

• 4,025 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:10

Ja, och nu har Seth Rogen tweetat att han är med i någon form:

Looks like about seven of years of hard work are about to pay off. I may get to bring one of my favourite stories ever to life.

Arseface. John Wayne, The Saint of Killers.

Källa

Men jag är (som vanligt) rädd att det återigen blir kalla handen så fort någon exekutiv producent fattar nivån på obsceniteterna - och inte minst gudsförnekandet - i handlingen.

#15 Garm

Garm

Rear Admiral

• SuperMod
  • 3,785 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 00:46

Dom tweet som Seth Rogen gjorde återgavs i texten till mitt inlägg. ;)

Man ska väl inte ropa hej riktigt än, men det känns lagom spännande med lite nya nyheter kring projektet. Jag tycker det är ett plus att man fortfarande är mer inne på en tv-serie än en film.

Seth Rogen har ju många strängar på sin lyra nuförtiden så det skulle inte förvåna mig om han är en av producenterna. Får han sedan några fler som har lite av samma mentalitet så kan jag mycket väl tänka mig att man kan ro det hela i hamn. Men som sagt, det finns säkert en och annan som lär kunna sparka bakut när dom får helt klart för sig exakt i vilka domäner som Preacher rör sig. Men jag hoppas givetvis på att vi inom en snar framtid får se Preacher som en tv-serie.

Edited by Garm, 19 November 2013 - 00:46.

#16 Fiskrens

Fiskrens

Social kameleont

• 4,025 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 14:05

Nu är det officiellt att AMC gör en pilot. :thumbsup:

#17 super85

super85

Forward Admiral

• 4,705 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:26

Kul om det nu verkligen blir av :).  Jag ser ju att de gjort en deal att göra ett pilot-avsnitt, men detta är ju ett sådant typiskt "development hell" som det snackats om i evigheter.

Proud member of ATNAG (Allegiance to Nolan and Goyer)
Batman Begins

2005&2008 Year of the Bat

2005 Evil feared the Knight, 2008 The Dark Knight Returns

The Dark Knight

#18 Fiskrens

Fiskrens

Social kameleont

• 4,025 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 21:08

Ja, och man är ju rätt bortskämd numera med att piloter faktiskt blir (bra) TV-serier: Walking Dead, GoT för att nämna några. Men det är ju faktiskt långt ifrån säkert.

#19 Garm

Garm

Rear Admiral

• SuperMod
  • 3,785 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 05:31

Variety skriver följande idag. Känns lovande även om det kanske inte blir mer än så eller att vi för den delen ens får en chans att se piloten om AMC drar ur pluggen efter den. Sedan är ju Preacher en väldigt speciell serie, så frågan är ju om AMC kan/vågar gå "all in" eller om det kommer att bli en tillrättalagd version. Men som sagt, lovande är det i alla fall.

AMC has given a pilot order to Preacher, a drama which has been adapted from the comic book series by Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg.

The pilot will be produced in the summer of 2015 for series consideration in 2016.

Rogen and Goldberg wrote the adaptation for Neal Moritzs Original Film. That trio is exec producing through their Point Grey banner, along with showrunner Sam Catlin.

The Sony Pictures Television and AMC Studios co-production was a hot property when it was shopped to cable buyers earlier this year. There had been talk of a straight-to-series order but at present it is a pilot.

Preacher has been our favorite comic since it first came out, said Rogen and Goldberg, who are also attached to direct. Garth Ennis is one of our idols and its an incredible honor to be working on this. We promise we wont make too many dick jokes and ruin it.

Based on Ennis and Steve Dillons 90s comic book series, Preacher is about Jesse Custer, a preacher in a Texas town who merges with a creature that has escaped from heaven and develops the ability to make anyone do anything he says. Along with his ex-girlfriend, Tulip, and an Irish vampire named Cassidy, the three embark on a journey to find God.

Every once in a while you find a project where all the elements line up beautifully. With Preacher, it starts with a bold, compelling, and thought-provoking comic book series from Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon and a whole lot of fans who already know Jesse Custer, Cassidy, and Tulip, said Joel Stillerman, AMCs executive vice president of original programming, production and digital content. Add to that the passionate and talented Seth Rogen, Evan Goldberg, and Sam Catlin, an incredible producing team in Neal Moritz, the Original Film team and our good friends at Sony Pictures Television, and we have everything we need to be VERY excited to move forward on Preacher.

AMC had a few other high-profile scripts in works, including Bombingham, the period drama from Alexander Woo.

#20 Garm

Garm

Rear Admiral

• SuperMod
  • 3,785 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 00:52

Vi kanske kan uppdatera den här tråden lite när man nu har börjat att rollsätta piloten.

Tankar och funderingar på valen av skådespelare/skådespelerskor? Tror ni att det kan bli en bra pilot som gör att AMC plockar upp serien eller stannar det vid ett pilotavsitt? :)

Dominic Cooper är Jesse Custer

Ruth Negga är Tulip O'Hare

Joseph Gilgun är Cassidy

Ian Colletti är Eugene Root aka Arseface

W. Earl Brown är Hugo Root

Elizabeth Perkins är Vyla Quinncannon (a genteel but formidable businesswoman who owns the local slaughterhouse in Annville. Ambitious, strong-willed and terrifying, Vyla shares a past with Jesse’s father which gives her a singular hold over Jesse)

Lucy Griffiths är Emily Woodrow (a no-nonsense single mother of three, a waitress, the church organist, bookkeeper, and Jesse’s loyal right hand)

Edited by Garm, 23 April 2015 - 00:58.

#21 Garm

Garm

Rear Admiral

• SuperMod
  • 3,785 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 02:27

Två till roller har tillsatts.

Jamie Anne Allman är Betsy Schenck (a meek wife who appears to suffer beatings by the hand of her husband, Donny. When the Preacher checks up on her, though, she tells a different story)

Derek Wilson är Donny Schenck (a Civil War re-enactor and abusive thug who gets into altercations with Jesse Custer (the Preacher) but nevertheless shows up to church on Sundays)

Och i sitt twitter-flöde så utannonserade Seth Rogen att man nu har börjat att filma. Yay!

KU0E8hx.jpg

Edited by Garm, 14 May 2015 - 02:27.

#22 Fiskrens

Fiskrens

Social kameleont

• 4,025 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 21:01

Känner inte igen de där två från serien. Ändringar gentemot originalet, vet inte vad jag ska tycka om det...

#23 Garm

Garm

Rear Admiral

• SuperMod
  • 3,785 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 01:14

Dom är nya enkom för tv-serien som jag har fattat det. Även karaktären Emily Woodrow är väl ny? Minns inte att det förekommer någon sådan i serien. Sedan så dyker ju förvisso Quinncannon upp, men specifikt en viss Vyla minns jag inte heller.

Jag tror att det är oundvikligt att dom inte kommer att göra förändringar. Man tar bort, lägger till, ändrar om, osv. Hoppas att man vet vad man gör.

Det finns anledning till oro om man ska tro på det som sägs i detta inslag.

http://www.nerdist.c...now-everything/

Jag är även lite orolig över Seth Rogen och Evan Goldbergs inblandning. Deras signum är väl humor i första hand, så jag hoppas att dom har talang för mer än det. Och sedan så undrar jag hur mycket som man kan komma undan med då man vet att man många gånger måste hålla tillbaka på saker och ting när man gör tv/film vars ursprung är USA.

Edited by Garm, 18 May 2015 - 01:26.

#24 Fiskrens

Fiskrens

Social kameleont

• 4,025 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 21:02

Jo, ändringar är oundvikliga - och nödvändiga. Men det är alltid läskigt att höra om dem i förväg. Sen tror jag nog att Rogen kan hantera den sjuka humorn som är lite av ett signum för serien, som du säger är det mer frågetecken kring allvaret.

#25 super85

super85

Forward Admiral

• 4,705 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 00:17

AMC är lite av en märklig kabel-kanal , lite likadan som Showtime och HBO men ändå inte. Tror t ex inte att de kommer ha några problem med att visa rätt grov våld. Sen blir det stopp när det ska sväras eller vara lite avklätt.  AMC är inte ett dåligt val av kanal för serien, men nog hade HBO varit det ultimata när det gäller Preacher. 

Proud member of ATNAG (Allegiance to Nolan and Goyer)
Batman Begins

2005&2008 Year of the Bat

2005 Evil feared the Knight, 2008 The Dark Knight Returns

The Dark Knight