Photo

Sherlock - Omgång 1

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#26 Kermit

Kermit

Groda

• 11,890 posts
  • Interests:Serier, musik, konst, teckning.

Posted 31 January 2011 - 15:52

Nyfiken, vad var det som irriterade dig? Visst kan man tycka att det känns konstigt att se Sherlock i nutid, men varför ska just Holmes vara låst till det som var samtid när han kom ut när få andra är det? Varken James Bond eller Spider-Man utspelas på sextiotalet nu, och Batman och Superman skuttar inte runt i trettio-fyrtiotalet heller.
*Hockey och superhjältar*

#27 Crusader

Crusader

Rumpadmiral

• 12,013 posts
  • Location:Osby, Skåne, Sverige, Europa, Jorden, Solsystemet, Wintergatan
  • Interests:Sci/Fi, Fantasy, Drama, Skräck, Kärlek/Romantik, Komedi... nog lättare att säga allt. :P

Posted 31 January 2011 - 16:25

Jag tyckte mig inte riktigt känna igen karaktärerna. Speciellt Watson kändes som en helt ny karaktär, Lestrade som kändes helt fel, Sherlock's bror som kändes fel och Sherlock var lite för tjeck och egotrippad in till det idiotiska (även om jag uppskattar att ibland känna igen mig på honom eftersom de valt att göra honom lite Asperger). Men jag kan förstå att Sherlock Holmes är en väldigt svår karaktär att föra över till nytiden utan att få honom att kännas omodern. Sedan kan vissa bero på att de gör lite narr av orginalet (A Study in Scarlet) med att tex Sherlock anser det var idioti att Anderson ansåg att det var tyska "RACHE" (hämnd) när i orginalet det var just det som Holmes kom fram till.

Men som sagt, mycket kan komma från ovanan över den moderna sättningen med alla SMS, e-mail, bloggar osv. Och visst kan man sätta Sherlopck i ett moderna samhälle.
Jag får se vaed jag tycker efter nästa avsnitt.

Edited by Crusader, 31 January 2011 - 16:26.

Although my heart may be weak, it's not alone. It's grown with each new experience. And it's found a home with all the friends I've made. I've become a part of their heart, just as they've become a part of mine.
And if they think of me now and then, if they don't forget me, then our hearts will be one. I don't need a weapon. My friends are my power!
-Sora, Kingdom Hearts
Godzilla%20racing_zps1cj0z7fu.gif

#28 Kermit

Kermit

Groda

• 11,890 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 16:50

Jag tycker att Watson, både i den här tv-serien och i filmen äntligen får komma till rättvisa igen. Det har varit för mycket av en tjock och klumpig idiot förut, och det känner jag inte igen i böckerna. Då tycker jag de gör honom bra i filmen och här i Sherlock. Sen tycker jag också ändå att Sherlock Holmes i böckerna ÄR precis som i den här tv-serien, särskilt i den första, "En studie i rött". Om det är aspergers eller genialitet eller både och vet jag inte, men det känns bra och väldigt Sherlock. Även intressant med en hjälte som ändå har sina egenheter.

Att det inte var "rache" uppfattade jag mer som en blinkning till fansen, jag tycker att det är bra att de typ följer originalen men låter dem ta nya vägar. Så länge det känns Sherlock. För det vore trist att se en A-Ö-adaption där man bara kunde sitta och pricka av vad som kommer härnäst.

Sen är det ju som Magnus skrev, mycket av det som var med i böckerna går väldigt bra att översätta till nutid. En så enkel sak som att Watson tjänstgjorde i Afghanistan. En blogg istället för att Watson nedtecknar äventyren i en bok. Och Sherlock Holmes hade lätt använt sig väldigt mycket av teknik som t. ex SMS om han funnits idag.

Gillade för övrigt Mycroft också. Enda skillnaden som jag såg det var att han inte var tjock, men att han är ungefär som Sherlock, t. om smartare, men utan intresse för detektivarbete fanns där t. ex. Lestrade är kanske lite ändrad, men inte så värst mycket tycker jag ändå.

#29 Fiskrens

Fiskrens

Social kameleont

• 4,025 posts
  • Interests:Fantasy, Familj, Rollspel, Sci-Fi, Karate, Film, Musik, Gitarrspelande i varierande ordning.

Posted 31 January 2011 - 20:48

Oh glömde nästan att säga, tyckte lite av Sherlocks "mannerisms" påminde om Doktorns i "Doctor Who".

Vilket kan bero på att det är samma manusförfattare bakom båda: Steven Moffat ;).
"It's only called paranoia if you can't prove it" - William Gibson

"It's more the way it is now than it's ever been" - Dwight David Eisenhower

"Typisk otur, Krydolf! När det regnar flyglar har den fattige inga noter" - Don Martin

#30 Magnus

Magnus

Fleet Captain

• Aktiv member
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 20:52

hehe, jo jag insåg det lite senare. :)

#31 Kermit

Kermit

Groda

• 11,890 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 14:13

En intressant lista om alla små referenser till böckerna som det här avsnittet innehåller:

http://www.newsarama...e-1-101118.html

SHERLOCK EPISODE 1 - A STUDY IN PINK

Benedict Cumberbatch plays Sherlock Holmes and was the first choice of this show’s creators. Though some folks may think he’s a bit young for the role, Sherlock was only about 27 years old when Watson met him in “A Study in Scarlet” (although author Laurie R. King has constructed her own theory, based on evidence from multiple stories, that Sherlock was as young as 20 when he and Watson first met).

Martin Freeman plays John Watson and was chosen because in his audition he portrayed the doctor as someone who would follow Holmes but also criticize him and show that he considered himself an equal friend. Several of the others who auditioned had made Watson seem like a subordinate. Interestingly, the first person to audition for John Watson was Matt Smith who later auditioned and won the role of the Eleventh Doctor on Moffat's Doctor Who.

The title is taken from “A Study in Scarlet”, the very first Sherlock Holmes story written by his creator Sir Arthur Conan Doyle which introduced the character and Dr. John H. Watson. The story opened up with Watson returning from Afghanistan where he served as an Assistant Surgeon of the Army Medical Department after having suffered shoulder injury on the battlefield that shattered the bone and grazed the subclavian artery. Watson said he recovered largely from the wound but then came down with enteric fever and was forced to be sent back to England. He had fought in the Second Anglo-Afghan War, which lasted from 1878-1880 and was the second time that British controlled India had invaded Afghanistan. Watson mentioned that he fought in the Battle of Maiwand (July 27th, 1880), which was one of the war’s final major battles.

ENLARGE

The episode displays a group of people who all vanished and then apparently committed suicide. One of these victims is named James Phillimore, who goes home to get his umbrella and then vanishes, only to be found dead later. In the original Sherlock Holmes story “The Problem of Thor Bridge”, Watson revealed to readers that he kept a tin dispatch box full of files on the cases that Holmes was never able to really solve. He said, “among these unfinished tales is that of Mr. James Phillimore, who, stepping back into his own house to get his umbrella, was never more seen in this world.”

Before we meet Holmes, we meet Detective Inspector (DI) Lestrade. In the original Doyle stories, Holmes was often annoyed by Inspector Lestrade, who half the time dismissed the consulting detective’s skills as mere luck at guesswork and if he ever asked Holmes for help it was with obvious reluctance. However, Holmes himself admitted that Lestrade was a skilled inspector (referring to him as the best “of a bad lot”) who was “quick and energetic, but conventional - shockingly so.” On occasion, such as in the story “The Six Napoleons”, Lestrade admitted genuine admiration for Sherlock’s abilities and simply wished he had joined the official police force. Moffat and Gatiss decided to focus on that aspect of their relationship and so this series gives us a Lestrade who is much more open to asking Holmes for help and fully admits his talents, even if he does criticize his behavior.

In the original “A Study in Scarlet”, Watson ran into his old friend Stamford at the Criterion Bar. In this episode, Watson runs into Stamford during a walk and then they grab a cup of coffee together. Notice the name on the coffee cup? It says Criterion.

In “A Study in Scarlet”, Watson tells Stamford he’s looking for a roommate to share “comfortable rooms at a reasonable price,” and Stamford remarks that earlier that same day, he heard Sherlock Holmes use the exact same phrase. In this episode, Watson instead asks, “Who would want me as a flatmate?” and Stamford says, “You’re the second person to say that to me today.”

ENLARGE

Sherlock’s test of beating a corpse is another direct reference to “A Study in Scarlet.” When Stanford is taking Watson to meet Sherlock Holmes in that story, he warns that Holmes is rather eccentric and took part in strange experiments such as beating up corpses to see how bruises formed differently after death.

Sherlock is apparently unaware or doesn’t care about Molly Hooper’s advances towards him. He later tells Watson that women are not his area of expertise. In the original stories by Doyle, it was clear on several occasions that Holmes did not focus any energy on romance at all. In Doyle’s story “The Lion’s Mane”, Holmes himself says, “Women have seldom been an attraction to me, for my brain has always governed my heart...” Watson remarked that when he first was working with Holmes, the detective considered romance to be “abhorrent to his cold, precise but admirably balanced mind... a distracting factor which might throw a doubt upon all his mental results.” Iin Doyle’s story “The Second Stain”, Holmes remarks how annoyingly difficult it is for him to read women sometimes since “their most trivial action may mean volumes, or their most extraordinary conduct may depend upon a hairpin...”

Holmes did, however, seem to change his mind about women. The first thing to soften his opinion was when the actress Irene Adler proved successful in outsmarting and escaping the detective, which Holmes admired so much that he always referring to her afterward reverently as “The Woman.” And he seemed to have greater compassion towards women in later adventures, even showing signs of an attraction to a woman in “The Adventure of the Copper Beeches” and later again “The Lion’s Mane.” In Doyle’s story “The Devil’s Foot”, Holmes says he understands what love for a woman could make a person do, even though he admits, “I have never loved...”

In the original “A Study in Scarlet”, Holmes immediately concludes that Watson spent time in Afghanistan since he sees that he is a military man only recently returned from the battlefield and at that time the Second Anglo-Afghan War was just ending. In this episode, since modern-day English troops could be in different parts of the middle east, Holmes is forced to ask, “Afghanistan or Iraq?”

ENLARGE

Holmes quickly shows he is constantly using a smart phone. In the original stories, Holmes was very much a modern man who constantly sent out telegrams to contact people for basic information so he wouldn’t have to waste time physically visiting and speaking with them (he, of course, visited people when he required serious interrogation). He was also constantly searching through his own files, guide books, collected newspaper clippings, and saved tabloids when he needed to research information. Hence, it makes sense that he would constantly check his phone to send texts and do internet searches.

Sherlock concludes that Watson’s leg injury is psychosomatic, but later learns that he did receive an injury in the shoulder. In the original Sherlock Holmes stories, Doyle initially said the injury that forced Watson to come home was in Watson’s shoulder but a later story had him complain about an injury in his leg. Many fans came up with theories to explain this. Some have suggested that his leg was injured in a less serious way in a previous skirmish, before the shoulder wound happened that forced him to leave Afghanistan. Some have suggested that one or both injuries were entirely psychosomatic. Some have even suggested that Watson was actually injured in a very embarrassing place and lied about the placement of his wound rather than admit it.

The address 221 B Baker street did not actually exist in London when Doyle published his stories, though it often received fan letters from children addressed to Sherlock Holmes himself. The address of 221B Baker Street was assigned to the Sherlock Holmes Museum in 1990, a museum that has been made to be a replica of the apartment that Holmes and Watson shared and is situated in a building that stands on Baker Street between 237 and 241.

Sherlock’s explanation of how he and Mrs. Hudson met is a new idea created for this show. In the original stories, nothing was said of Mrs. Hudson’s past or if she and Sherlock had met before he and John had moved into the upper floor of her building. In the original stories, Watson described Mrs. Hudson as “a long-suffering woman... [Holmes’s] incredible untidiness, his addiction to music at strange hours, his occasional revolver practice within doors, his weird and often malodorous scientific experiments, and the atmosphere of violence and danger which hung around him made him the very worst tenant in London. On the other hand, his payments were princely... She was fond of him, too, for he had a remarkable gentleness and courtesy in his dealing with women.” In the story “A Scandal in Bohemia”, Holmes (or Doyle) mistakenly refers to Mrs. Hudson as Mrs. Turner.

Upon entering the main apartment, we see that Holmes has already left if a cluttered mess. In the original stories, Watson at first found Holmes very easy to live with, but then later often complained about the detective’s habit for making a mess with his files and his chemical experiments and that he would do strange, untidy things such as keeping tobacco in one of his slippers.

ENLARGE

Sherlock shows Watson his website where he has posted up articles about the science of deduction. In “A Study in Scarlet”, he showed Watson an article he’d published about the science of detection called “The Book of Life” which had been published in a local magazine.

We see that John is practically dying of boredom and is eager to join Sherlock on an adventure. In “A Study in Scarlet”, Watson remarked “how objectless was my life, and how little there was to engage my attention... I had no friends who would call upon me and break the monotony of my daily existence. Under these circumstances, I eagerly hailed the little mystery which hung around my companion...”

Mrs. Hudson’s complaint that she is a landlady and not a house maid is a reference to the original stories by Doyle, where she often did the cooking and cleaning for the two men without question, despite the fact that she owned the place.

Sherlock jumps for joy at the thought of a serious murder investigation he can get his hands on. Similar behavior happened a few times in the original stories, such as in “The Sign of Four.”

In this episode, Sherlock is eager to run off to the murder scene of Jennifer Wilson. In “A Study in Scarlet”, Watson was eager that Sherlock head to the murder scene but the detective said there was no point, having gotten into the habit of rarely leaving his apartment to solve cases since police and clients came to him instead and would often take the credit for his work anyway. It was Watson who pushed him to go to the scene of the crime and actually investigate the case directly. Taking Watson with him to the murder scene, Holmes later remarks, “There is nothing like first hand evidence... I must thank you for it all. I might not have gone but for you...” Thus, in the original stories, Watson is very much the catalyst that moves Holmes from being a strange, hermetic consultant to a world-famous detective.

Sherlock is called to investigate the death of Jennifer Wilson at Lauriston Gardens. In “A Study in Scarlet”, he investigated the death of Enoch J. Drebber at an inn at #3 Lauriston Gardens.

Sherlock tells Mrs. Hudson that the game is on. This is a take on Holmes’s famous battle cry “The game is afoot!” The phrase has been used in many adaptations and was first exclaimed by the Great Detective in the story “The Adventure of the Abbey Grange.”

ENLARGE

On the way to the crime scene, Sherlock explains how he figured out that John has a brother named Harry thanks to an inscription on the back of the doctor’s cell phone. From the scratches around the port where you plug in the charger, he realizes that Harry is a drunk. In the Doyle story “The Sign of the Four”, Holmes sees that Watson’s pocket watch has the letters “H.W.” inscribed on the back and concludes that this watch had belonged to Watson’s father and was originally given to John’s elder brother. Holmes notices damage on the watch and infers that John’s older brother is careless and that the scratches on the key-hole mean that he is a drunk, adding, “You never see a drunkard’s watch without them. He winds it at night, and he leaves these traces of his unsteady hand.”

Sherlock sees the word “Rache” on the floor, written by the victim, and considers that it might be the German word for revenge but then immediately dismisses this. In “A Study in Scarlet”, that is exactly what the word meant and it was a vital clue left by the killer, not the victim, to explain his motive.

The wedding ring informs Sherlock about several things that help him in solving the case. Similarly, a wedding ring found on the scene was a vital clue in the original story “A Study in Scarlet.” In the original story, Holmes later used this ring to lure the killer to his home but in this episode he uses a text message as the lure.

Sherlock asks John and Lestrade what it’s like to live inside such tiny minds. In the Doctor Who episode “The Doctor Dances”, also written by Steven Moffar, the Doctor asked almost the exact same question to his friends Rose Tyler and Jack Harkness.

The man Watson meets is implied to be Moriarty to anyone familiar with the Holmes stories but we find out later that this is actually Mycroft Holmes. Mycroft was first introduced in a story called “The Greek Interpreter”, where he was described as Sherlock’s older, fatter and smarter brother. According to Sherlock, Mycroft’s detective reasoning was far superior and he could have been the greatest crime-fighter in the world but he detested physical activity and legwork, preferring to spend as much time as possible in the Diogenes Club, an anti-social club for people who wished to be left alone by the rest of London and whose members were not permitted to speak to each other unless they were in a specially designated room. Originally said to have a minor government job due to a talent with numbers, Holmes later told Watson that in reality, Mycroft was the nerve center of the British government, acting as a walking data base for many of its greatest secrets and using his incredible mind to manipulate events through secret operations. We can certainly see his influence and powers in the British government by the fact that he is able to control street cameras and has access to John’s therapy files. This version of Mycroft is not quite as physically lazy as Doyle’s original version and is more hands on with his operations.

Mycroft Holmes is played by series creator Mark Gatiss, who also wrote the third episode “The Great Game.” Mark Gatiss, like Steven Moffat, is a famous author of Doctor Who novels, short stories and penned multiple episodes of the new television series that started in 2005. He also played the role of a Doctor Who villain in the episode “The Lazarus Experiment.”

Sherlock is seen wearing three nicotine patches and explains that this is a “three patch problem.” In the original stories, when he knew he had to think and consider things for some time, he would sometimes call it a “three pipe problem” and take a pipe down to begin smoking. Here he uses patches because, as he explains, it’s “impossible” to maintain a smoking habit in modern-day London when its restricted in so many places.

John laughs off the idea that drugs might be find amongst Sherlock’s possessions but Sherlock then gives him a look that he either does or has had a drug habit in the past. In the original stories, Sherlock occasionally injected himself with a 7 % solution of cocaine. Although some media adaptations would show him doing this whenever a desire took him, the original stories by Doyle made it clear that Sherlock only did this if at least several weeks had passed without an interesting case to pass his time, telling Watson (who was appalled by the habit) that his brain suffered from stagnation and that if he had no problems to solve then he desperately needing the drug to keep his mind stimulated. In later stories by Doyle, the drug use vanished entirely, and many fans took this to mean that Watson’s warnings to Holmes about the damage he was risking to his mind eventually convinced him to stop.

On the commentary for this episode, producers Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffat also note that they didn’t want to focus on Holmes’s drug use because it didn’t fit in with the mentality of modern times. During the time of Doyle’s original stories, a man using a 7% solution of cocaine to keep his mind stimulated could seem exotic and Watson was very progressive to suggest it was dangerous and should be stopped. But Gatiss and Moffat felt that a modern-day detective doing this would too easily come off as a weak-willed man with an addiction. They did, however, concede that it was easy for them to imagine that Holmes would have developed a drug habit or done something equally dangerous to keep his mind stimulated before eventually realizing he could work as a detective.

Sherlock snaps that he is a “high-functioning sociopath.” He certainly shows some characteristics of this, given his lack of empathy most of the time, seemingly solving crimes for the enjoyment of solving a puzzle rather than a true desire to help people. And he certainly does have a grandiose sense of himself. But he doesn’t have behavioral control problems. He may compulsively fire off a gun when he’s bored, but not if there’s a chance that someone could be injured by the act. His biting remarks are insensitive but usually not done to deliberately hurt another’s feelings. And while he may appear unsympathetic in general, in the original stories by Doyle he would occasionally allow a criminal to go free if they had committed a crime to avenge or protect a woman they loved. He also displayed a willingness to sacrifice his life for Watson and to kill for him if his friend were put in danger.

ENLARGE

Lestrade comments that Sherlock Holmes could possibly become a good man. In the original stories by Doyle, Holmes does seem to become more altruistic and heroic as the stories go on. Initially, he seems to be purely about the problems and mysteries he solved and the effect it has on victims is an afterthought. Later on, he make remarks that he would gladly die simply to stop Moriarty’s criminal network from victimizing people and he allows crimes to go unpunished if they were done to avenge the innocent. Moffat and Gatiss wanted to show a “raw, unrefined” Sherlock in this initial episode, one who will become less cold as Watson has greater influence on him.

“A Study in Scarlet” involved a man named Jefferson Hope who worked as a cabbie and gave his victims a choice between two pills, one of which was poison, as part of a revenge scheme. In the original story, the victims were not random but had caused the death of the woman Hope had loved. In the original story, Hope didn’t fear choosing the wrong pill because he was suffering from an aortic aneurism that could kill him at any moment.

Sherlock remarks that Watson’s shot was an extremely difficult one to accomplish. In the original Doyle stories, Watson was described as a crackshot and a better marksman than Holmes. Although he brought his gun along with him on many adventures written by Doyle, he never actually fired it in those stories.

The name “Moriarty” is mentioned. We’ll discuss this enemy of Sherlock’s in more detail in our annotations for the episode “The Great Game.”

It’s interesting to note that in this episode, Hope knows he was sponsored by someone named Moriarty, whereas in the original Doyle stories the villain operated through a network of operatives so that those who committed the crimes were unaware of who the true mastermind was. Even a spy within his organization would only refer to him as “he.”

At the end of the episode, the Holmes brothers discuss their mother. I feel it’s necessary to point out that these two must have had a very singular mother indeed to have raised them to be such interesting people and have named her two sons Sherlock and Mycroft. I wonder if there are other siblings with equally unique names.

Watson tries twice in one night to pick up the same woman. In the original Doyle stories, Watson was said to be handsome and that he was known as a ladies man in several countries. In “The Adventure of the Second Stain”, Sherlock deferred to Watson’s experience when he found a woman difficult to understand and in “The Adventure of the Retired Colourman”, Holmes told his friend, “With your natural advantages, Watson, every lady if your helper and accomplice.”

#32 Crusader

Crusader

Rumpadmiral

• 12,013 posts
  • Interests:Sci/Fi, Fantasy, Drama, Skräck, Kärlek/Romantik, Komedi... nog lättare att säga allt. :P

Posted 06 February 2011 - 22:38

Det här var mycket bättre. Inget som jag retade mig på. När han berättade var nålen var värd i slutet var väldigt roligt. :lol:
Although my heart may be weak, it's not alone. It's grown with each new experience. And it's found a home with all the friends I've made. I've become a part of their heart, just as they've become a part of mine.
And if they think of me now and then, if they don't forget me, then our hearts will be one. I don't need a weapon. My friends are my power!
-Sora, Kingdom Hearts

#33 Magnus

Magnus

Fleet Captain

• Aktiv member
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 22:59

Det här var mycket bättre. Inget som jag retade mig på. När han berättade var nålen var värd i slutet var väldigt roligt. :lol:

Tycker tvärtom, jag tyckte första avsnittet var bättre än det här. :)

Men en sak som retade mig i första avsnittet var att jag tyckte att de överdrev när de repeterade Sherlocks funderingar en gång till, de hade ju avslöjat vad för sorts person det var, de behöver ju inte banka in det.

#34 Synon

Synon

Voff!

• SuperMod
  • 7,770 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 23:46

Jag såg första avsnittet igår på SVT Play (var färdig med 6 minuter till godo innan den skulle plockas bort :P) och tyckte den var ganska intressant. Kändes fräscht att de "moderniserat" den och med gott resultat måste jag ändå säga. Mycket tack vare dr Watson som kom med i bilden och spelades bra av Martin Freeman. SH kändes en aning påfrestande ibland, men skådespeleriet kanske hamnar på plats i nästa avsnitt? Men jag gillar att han inte var så perfekt utan har sina brister och egenheter. Själva krim-storyn tyckte jag inte var så väldans upphetsande, men det kanske ger sig det med. Hann inte se kvällens avsnitt, men ska försöka komma ihåg reprisen imorrn. Annars har jag ju alltid SVT Play. :)

Min bild av Sherlock Holmes är annars den jag fick via tv-serien med Jeremy Brett och på senare tid, filmen med Robert Downey Jr.

Beviset för att intelligent liv finns i rymden är att de inte har kontaktat oss än.

Filmtipset | Live Long and Prosper

We are Apple. Lower your minds and surrender your wallets. We will add our biological and technological distinctiveness to you. Culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.

#35 Magnus

Magnus

Fleet Captain

• Aktiv member
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 00:04

Det här är första gången jag har sett en tv-serie med Sherlock Holmes, innan så hade jag bara läst böckerna. ;)

#36 Kermit

Kermit

Groda

• 11,890 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:47

Svårt att gradera för mig då jag tyckte om både det första avsnittet och detta, och tycker att det är mycket mer troget än någon annan variant jag har sett tidigare. Visst, kosmetiska detaljer som i vilken tid det utspelar sig i är annorlunda, men jag vidhåller att detta är mer troget Sherlock.

Det var kul att se en lite mer fysisk sida av Sherlock igår! Visst, han hade inte någon större chans mot den kinesiska mördaren, men han fick både fajtas och klättra på utsidan av hus. Dessutom fanns det stunder där Cumberbatch verkligen förmedlade pondus och självförtroende hos Sherlock, och scenen när han räddar Watson och hans tjej och gör en teatralisk entré gav mig närmast rysningar. :)

#37 Den Gröne Hämnaren

Den Gröne Hämnaren

l'Empereur des Lumières

• 2,579 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:02

Nyfiken, vad var det som irriterade dig? Visst kan man tycka att det känns konstigt att se Sherlock i nutid, men varför ska just Holmes vara låst till det som var samtid när han kom ut när få andra är det? Varken James Bond eller Spider-Man utspelas på sextiotalet nu, och Batman och Superman skuttar inte runt i trettio-fyrtiotalet heller.

Intressant det där. På tal om DC:s serier, så har ju Stålmannen alltid fått utspela sig i samtiden, medan Jonah Hex alltid har fått hålla sig i vilda västern. (I alla fall när det inte är tidsresor inblandat.) Och nu är Stålmannens ursprungliga samtid längre sedan än western-tiden var när Stålmannen började. Vissa historier är det ju väl beprövat att placera i nutid. Shakespeare är det ju till exempel bekant att man kan göra lite som man vill med. Men Sherlock Holmes tror jag aldrig att någon har vågat flytta på förr. (Där emot har han säkert, som den ikoniska figur han är, gjort gästspel i många olika berättelser där författarna inte tyckt att det precis spelat någon roll vilken tid han hör hemma i.) Kanske har folk föredragit att kunna betrakta honom som en historisk person. Min första tanke när jag fick höra talas om uppdateringen var att... Men så kan man väl inte göra... och min andra tanke var att... Det kan man ju visst. Och när jag kollade in programmet på tv igår tyckte jag att det funkade rätt bra.

#38 Kermit

Kermit

Groda

• 11,890 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:17

Javisst blev jag också konfunderad först, men då är det ju mer långt ifrån karaktären att slå ihop Sherlock med andra karaktärer, som Jack the Ripper eller Cthulhu-mytologin, t. ex. Jag kan förstå att det gör sig bra ihop om man tänker på att slutet av 1800-talet kan vara en väldigt atmosfärisk tid, och hela grejen med Sherlocks vetenskapliga metoder gentemot det övernaturliga. Filmen lekte ju lite med det där också. Men en stor grej med Sherlock som jag kan tycka har glömts bort mer och mer är hans "science of deduction", att han mycket vetenskapligt löser sina mysterier. Och det är spännande, tycker jag i alla fall, att se hur de har uppdaterat det till nutiden.

#39 Crusader

Crusader

Rumpadmiral

• 12,013 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 22:41

SDet här avsnittet var också bra även om jag inte gillade deras skrikiga flummiga variant av Professor Moriarty. Och jag tyckte att det passade dåligt att avsluta med en cliffhanger. Sherlock Holmes är något som man, IMO, borde kunna se avsnitten för sig som enfalda fall.
Jag måste erkänna att jag höll på att trilla av soffan när Watson kom in i slutet. Precis som det var meningen så trodde jag att de hade gjort så att Watson igentligen var Professor Moriarty. Något som nog shockerade Sherlock också. Jag gillade iallafall hur han blev upprörd vid tanken på att Watson kunde ha dött.
-Sora, Kingdom Hearts

#40 Kermit

Kermit

Groda

• 11,890 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:29

Avsnittet började underhållande med en deprimerad och uttråkad Holmes, det var riktigt bra skildrat och både underhållande och lite otäckt på samma gång. Sen dök gåta på gåta upp i ett rasande tempo, och man anade mer och mer att det var en duell eller ett spel mellan två aktörer. Därför gillade jag också hur Moriarty skildrades, det var verkligen en motpol till Sherlock. Han kallade t. om sig själv för "consulting criminal"! Även jag gick för en stund på att det skulle vara Watson som låg bakom, men det ändrade man ganska snabbt uppfattning om.

Det var också spännande att se lite mer sårbara sidor hos Holmes, han var steget efter i "spelet" med Moriarty och att tanten dog påverkade honom mer än vad han kanske visade utåt. Samma att han faktiskt brydde sig såpass mycket om Watson. Bra avsnitt! :thumbsup:

Cliffhangers är ju alltid jobbigt, särskilt när man vet att man lär få vänta på fortsättningen, men för mig gör det ingenting. Jag litar på Moffat och Gattiss.

#41 Kermit

Kermit

Groda

• 11,890 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 11:35

Här kommer lite noteringar om alla referenser i avsnitt tre:

THE GREAT GAME

The opening scene has a criminal who hopes to trick Holmes into proving his innocence. A similar thing happened in Doyle’s story “The Adventure of the Retired Colourman.”

ENLARGE

Sherlock is lying on his couch out of boredom. In “A Study in Scarlet”, Watson noted that he would sometimes do this for days when he was in-between cases and fell into a melancholy mood.

In the original stories by Doyle, Sherlock Holmes would occasionally fire off a revolver when he was bored. In the story “The Bruce-Partington Plans”, it was said he had fired off enough rounds into his wall to spell out the letters “V.R.” for “Victoria Regina”, a patriotic nod to Queen Victoria. Since Queen Victoria is not alive in the modern-day and since this interpretation of Sherlock would seem to be more critical of the British government, Steven Moffat wrote that he shot the design of a smiley face instead.

In the original stories by Doyle, the adventures he published were supposedly the same exact memoirs that Watson published about his adventures with Holmes in the pages of the Strand magazine that existed in the fictional universe. Thus, people in the stories who recognized Sherlock’s name often did so because they’d read the same stories Doyle’s readers had. In this fictional universe, John keeps a blog rather than publishing stories in a magazine. Audience members can actually visit this fictional blog at www.johnwatsonblog.co.uk.

The first Holmes story “A Study in Scarlet” was when we learned that the Great Detective didn’t know that the Earth revolves around the sun. In that story, he explains to Watson (as he does in this episode) that he deliberately does not waste the space in his brain with information that does not directly help him in his life and career, causing Watson to exclaim, “But the solar system!”

Mycroft asks for Sherlock’s help in recovering the plans for the Bruce-Partington Progam, a special missile system. In Doyle’s story “The Adventure of the Bruce-Partington Plans”, Mycroft recruited Sherlock’s help to recover the planes of a Bruce-Partington submarine. Like this episode, that case involved an apparent spy being found dead by train tracks.

Sherlock asks Mycroft how his diet is going, a reference to the character being described as fat in the original stories.

Sherlock plucks at a violin, an instrument he would sometimes play in Doyle’s stories for enjoyment or to help him think.

“Don’t make me order you.” “I’d like to see you try.” This mirrors a scene to the Doctor Who episode “The Green Death” when two very similar lines were spoken between Brigadier Alastair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart and the Doctor. As Mark Gatiss is a Doctor Who episode writer, novelist and long-time fan, this doesn’t seem like a coincidence.

“I’d be lost without my blogger.” This is a reference to the story “A Scandal in Bohemia” when Holmes told Watson “I am lost without my Boswell.” This original remark was a reference to the historical figure James Boswell, a lawyer who was also the great friend and biographer of Samuel Johnson. In British society, his name became a term for someone who was a constant companion and/or observer, so it was definitely a term that suited John Watson.

While examining stationery, Holmes remarks that it is Bohemian, then clarifies that its from the Czech Republic. This mirrors a scene in Doyle’s story “A Scandal in Bohemia.”

Holmes is able to tell whether or not handwriting was done by a man or a woman. He displayed this ability several times in Doyle’s original stories.

Sherlock talks about how the five pips are a warning. In Doyle’s story “The Five Orange Pips”, five pips (or seeds) from an orange were used by the Klu Klux Klan to send warnings.

Moriarty finally offers a direct challenge to Sherlock in this episode. The villain Professor Moriarty only actually appeared in one story by Doyle, “The Final Problem”, but the story had Holmes explain that he had known about the villain’s vast criminal network for years and had been foiling its operations for some time. Holmes told Watson, “I have felt the presence of this force, and I have deduced its action in many of those undiscovered crimes in which I have not been personally consulted... Again and again he strove to break away, but I as often headed him off. I tell you, my friend, that if a detailed account of that silent contest could be written, it would take its place as the most brilliant bit of thrust-and-parry work in the history of detection.”

Although Watson had never heard about Moriarty before the events of “The Final Problem”, Doyle later published a novel “The Valley of Fear” that retconned this by saying that Watson had been aware of the master criminal earlier and that Holmes had revealed to him that he had a spy working close to Moriarty. The same novel also established that Holmes had learned about the arch-criminal after inheriting the research of a detective who had realized the truth behind the secret villain earlier. “The Valley of Fear” also gave Moriarty the first name of James, despite Doyle writing that James was the name of the villain’s brother in “The Final Problem.”

Little point of trivia here. As has been noted, this show was created by two Doctor Who writers who started off as fans and there are even a couple of Doctor Who references in it. Another small connection to that franchise is that Holmes’s enemy Moriarty was the inspiration for the Doctor’s friend-turned-enemy known as the Master.

Sherlock shows John the pair of shoes Moriarty left for him and suggests that Watson attempt to draw conclusion using the methods that he’s seen the detective use. Holmes tested Watson in this way in many different stories, often complimenting that Watson’s powers of observations were superior to the average person but that the conclusions he drew were often sloppy.

Sherlock guesses that Molly has put on three lbs. and she immediately protests it’s only two and a half. In “A Scandal in Bohemia”, Holmes observes that Watson gained seven and a half lbs. since getting married, causing Watson to protest that he only gained seven lbs.

According to Mark Gatiss, one of the cases in this episode is based on a true crime that happened in France where a man was murdered by a cat’s scratch because his brother-in-law had soaked the animals claws in poison.

At the crime scene by the docks, Lestrade asks Sherlock if he has any ideas and the Great Detective answers, “Seven so far.” This is similar to Doyle’s story “The Naval Treaty” where Holmes is asked “Do you see any clue?” and he answered “You have furnished me with seven...”

Sherlock tells Lestrade “You see, you just don’t observe.” Holmes repeated this sentiment many times in the original tales by Doyle, first telling Watson “You see, but you do not observe,” in the story “A Scandal in Bohemia.”

Holmes uses homeless people as agents, a reference to the Irregulars, the homeless orphans he sometimes used as an information network in the original stories by Doyle.

Moriarty knows that the painting in this episode is a fake because of an astronomical event. In the original stories by Doyle, Professor Moriarty was said to have a keen interest in astronomy, which makes him very different from Holmes who doesn’t bother to understand the basics of the solar system.

John’s discovery of an unused train ticket and its key in solving his case is similar to how he discovered an unused theatre ticket which helped solve the mystery of “The Adventure of the Retired Colourman.”

John discovers that Sherlock was only pretending to let him do his own investigation. Holmes did this in the original Doyle stories, including “The Solitary Cyclist”, “The Hound of the Baskervilles” and “The Adventure of the Retired Colourman.”

After meeting with John at the train tracks, Sherlock suggests that they need to do a little burglary now. In Doyle’s stories, Holmes often broke into places when he felt he needed to explore them. In “The Adventure of the Retired Colourman”, he remarks, “Burglary has always been an alternative profession had I cared to adopt it...”

The culprit behind the theft of the Bruce-Partington plans turns out to be Joe Harrison. In the original Doyle stories, Joseph Harrison was featured in the story “The Naval Treaty” and elements of that story are present in this episode. Likewise, Holmes stopping to admire the stars is similar to his admiration of a rose in that same story.

The fact that Sherlock and Moriarty meet at a swimming pool may be a reference to their famous confrontation at the Richenbach Falls in “The Final Problem.”

Sherlock realizes that Moriarty is a “consulting criminal.” In creating Moriarty, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was apparently inspired by the historical criminal Adam Worth who was called the “Napoleon of crime”, a nickname Holmes also gave to Moriarty. A career criminal for years, Worth later went to London and organized a criminal network, controlling robberies through several intermediary agents, with almost no one in the network knowing his real name or of his existence. He was only finally captured in 1892 when he improvised a robbery with two criminals he hadn’t worked with before. The operation went wrong and Worth wound up captured by the police. A year after Worth’s capture hit the news, Doyle introduced Moriarty in the pages of “The Final Problem.”

Many also believe that Moriarty, a mathematics genius, was also partially inspired by American astronomer Simon Newcomb who was internationally famous during Doyle’s lifetime and had a reputation for sabotaging rival scientists.

Moriarty is an Irish last name and so he is played here by Irish actor Andrew Scott. Scott’s physicality in the role is inspired by a passage in “The Final Problem” where Holems tells Watson that Moriarty is “forever slowly oscillating from side to side in a curiously reptilian fashion.” Although Moriarty is several years older than Holmes in Doyle’s stories, here they are closer to being contemporaries, enhancing the sense that they are actually very similar when you break them down.

Sherlock claims he has a British Army L9A1 pistol in his pocket. He’s actually holding an SIG Sauer P226, which replaced the L9A1 as the British Army standard side arm. The fact that Sherlock is hiding a gun in his pocket when he meets Moriarty is a reference to Holmes doing the same thing when Moriarty first meets him in “The Final Problem.”

Jim Moriarty has an agent with a rifle hidden. In Doyle’s story “The Adventure of the Empty House”, readers learned that Professor Moriarty’s most trusted agents was Sebastian Moran, a former army colonel and expert marksman who attempted to kill Sherlock Holmes with a special, noiseless air-rifle that had been specially built for Moriarty’s organization. According to Holmes in that same story, Moran actually briefly served as Moriarty’s chief of staff for some time.

Jim Moriarty tells Sherlock that he’s enjoyed their game together but it has to end now. This mirrors Professor Moriarty’s remarks from “The Final Problem” when he told Holmes, “It is necessary that you should withdraw. It has been an intellectual treat to me to see the way in which you have grappled with this affair...”

For the first time in the season, we see that Sherlock is visibly rattled once he’s assured that John is safe. This matches some of Doyle’s stories where he lost his cool when Watson was in danger and shows us that Sherlock is beginning to allow himself emotional connections thanks to John’s influence.

“Everything I have to say has already crossed your mind.” “Probably my answer has crossed yours.” This is very similar to when Moriarty first meets Holmes in “The Final Problem” and tells him, “All that I have to say has already crossed your mind.” To which, Holmes replies, “Then possibly my answer has crossed yours.”

http://www.newsarama...e-3-101214.html

#42 Magnus

Magnus

Fleet Captain

• Aktiv member
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 16:29

Japp, även jag kan erkänna att man i några sekunder trodde att watson kanske var moriarty.

Saker som jag gillade med det här avsnittet var att man visade att Sherlock hade vissa ämnen som han inte visste någonting alls om, som astronomi, politik med mera eftersom sådant inte var relevant för hans liv. Precis som det var i böckerna.
Var lite tveksam till Moriarty men jag vande mig vid honom.

#43 Peak

Peak

Dear Leader

• Admin
  • 11,181 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 16:03

Lite info om nästa säsong av serien.. :)

http://blogs.bbcamer...ails-announced/

//Peak
* Sci-Fi Nytt * Sci-Fi Nytts Forum

"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the
beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the
beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and
sixty six."

#44 Garm

Garm

Rear Admiral

• SuperMod
  • 3,785 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 16:09

Trevliga nyheter. Jag tyckte om dom förra tre avsnitten och ser gärna mer. Bra att Moffat ska skriva manus till minst ett avsnitt. Han stod ju för det bästa av förra säsongens avsnitt tycker jag.

Blev dock fundersam över att inspelning sker med start i dagarna. Är inte Martin Freeman på Nya Zeeland och spelar in The Hobbit?

#45 Synon

Synon

Voff!

• SuperMod
  • 7,770 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 16:24

Ingen fara: ingår i planeringen att Freeman tar en paus från filmen för att spela in Holmes.

Följande står på McKellens blogg:

Martin Freeman has left The Hobbit.

This is not another April Fool, just a May Fact. Before signing as Bilbo, Martin had agreed to make three 90-minute TV films in London, again playing Dr Watson to Benedict Cumberbatch's Sherlock Holmes. No worries: he'll be back in Middle Earth after our first hiatus, during which Peter Jackson will have spare time to edit the scenes already completed.

Kul med fortsättning på denna Holmes serie btw!

Beviset för att intelligent liv finns i rymden är att de inte har kontaktat oss än.

Filmtipset | Live Long and Prosper

We are Apple. Lower your minds and surrender your wallets. We will add our biological and technological distinctiveness to you. Culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.

#46 Garm

Garm

Rear Admiral

• SuperMod
  • 3,785 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 16:31

Fara vet jag inte om jag skulle kalla det, men tack för klargörandet. :)

På tal om Sherlock Holmes och oss som har vuxit upp med tv-serierna. Nu missade väl inte att Edward Hardwicke gick ur tiden för några dagar sedan.

#47 Garm

Garm

Rear Admiral

• SuperMod
  • 3,785 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 15:48

Lördagen den 4 februari i SVT1 klockan 21.30-23.00 så startar SVT sändningen av den andra omgången av Sherlock. Jag skall se även denna omgång då jag gillade den första.

Brittiskt kriminaldrama från 2011 efter klassisk förlaga. Andra säsongen. Del 1 av 3.

Spoiler

I rollerna: Benedict Cumberbatch; Martin Freeman m.fl.

Även i SVT1 6/2

#48 Fiskrens

Fiskrens

Social kameleont

• 4,025 posts
  • Interests:Fantasy, Familj, Rollspel, Sci-Fi, Karate, Film, Musik, Gitarrspelande i varierande ordning.

Posted 13 January 2012 - 18:15

Bokat!
"It's only called paranoia if you can't prove it" - William Gibson

"It's more the way it is now than it's ever been" - Dwight David Eisenhower

"Typisk otur, Krydolf! När det regnar flyglar har den fattige inga noter" - Don Martin

#49 Sir-L

Sir-L

Captain

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:09

Tyckte att andra säsongen var ännu bättre än första, den är bara så brilliant.