• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Cartman

Cartman

Deputy Admiral

• Aktiv member
  • 10,210 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 12:16

Intressant projekt. Mangan är ju en klassiker och riktigt bra. Animen har sina stunder men som filmatisering av mangan är den rätt blek dom dom av olika skäl inte fick med allt som mangan erbjuder. Kanske att detta kan bli bra men jag ställer mig något avvaktande med tanke på regissör och skådespelare som verkar vara klara samt att dom verkar satsa på en del ändringar i handlingen.

Bloody Disgusting - DiCaprio to Topline Akira, Director Confirmed!

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

UPDATE: AICN ads that Joseph Gordon Levitt (Brick) will play Tetsuo! It was confirmed this afternoon our breaking news from last October (!) that Ruairi Robinson will direct the live-action adaptation of Akira for Warner Bros. Pictures. THR added a little something extra... Leonardo DiCaprio has been tapped to star in what will be a two-part epic! Read on for the entire story.

The anime classic "Akira" is getting the live-action big screen treatment courtesy of Leonardo DiCaprio and Warner Bros.

Ruairi Robinson has been hired to direct what would ideally be a two-part epic. Gary Whitta is writing the adaptation, which DiCaprio will produce via his Appian Way shingle. Andrew Lazar is also producing via his Mad Chance shingle. Jennifer Davisson, who heads up Appian, will also be involved in some producorial capacity.

"Akira" originated in 1988 as a manga and then as an animated film co-written and directed by Katsuhiro Otomo. The story was set in a neon-lit futuristic post-nuclear war "New Tokyo" in 2019 where a teen biker gang member is subjected to a government experiment which unleashes his latent powers. The gang's leader must find a way to stop the ensuing swathe of destruction.

With its mature themes and cutting-edge animation, "Akira" was a milestone movie in anime and even animation circles, and led the way for anime making inroads into Western pop culture in the 1990s.

"Akira" has long been in development at the company, with producers Jon Peters and Basil Iwanyk involved at various times, as well as directors Stephen Norrington and Pitof. The rights lapsed but Warner managed to re-scoop them again for Robinson, who came to the studio with a vision of a two-part adaptation.

The new story moves the action to "New Manhattan," a city rebuilt by Japanese money.

The studio is eyeing a summer 2009 release for the first movie.

Greg Silverman is overseeing for Warners.

Whitta, repped by UTA and Circle of Confusion, wrote "The Book of Eli," which the Hughes Brothers are directing for Warners and Silver Pictures.

"Akira" would mark the feature directorial debut for Robinson who was nominated for a best animated short Oscar in 2001 for a sci-fi comedy called "Fifty Percent Grey." He also wrote and directed a sci-fi short titled "The Silent City". Robinson is repped by CAA and 3 Arts Entertainment.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

Edited by Cartman, 21 February 2008 - 12:19.

#2 Georgia

Georgia

Synthare

• SuperMod
  • 15,336 posts
  • Interests:Depeche Mode
    Sci-Fi
    Fantasy

Posted 10 November 2008 - 22:08

Akira: Live-Action Akira Remake Script Surprisingly Faithful to the Original

Ever since Warner Bros. announced its plans to remake the 1988 anime Akira as a pair of live-action films, fans have been understandably nervous. Although Katsuhiro Otomo, the creator of both the original Akira manga and its animated adaptation, is on board as the film’s executive producer, some fear that Hollywood will water down the tale of post-apocalyptic Neo-Tokyo to the point of blandness. But one fan who has seen the new Akira script says the remake is, if anything, too faithful to the original.

Latino Review talked to Dr. Strangefist, who had an opportunity to review the script for the first live-action film, written by The Book of Eli scribe Gary Whitta. Dr. Strangefist outlines the basic premise of the new script, along with some of the characters’ newly-Anglicized names (Kaneda is still Kaneda, but Tetsuo somehow became “Travis,” which just isn’t as much fun to scream). Overall, he found the script happily familiar, although it doesn’t add much to the Akira universe:

The people out there who demand faithfulness in adaptations and remakes should be pleasantly surprised, even if not outright delighted by this script; sure, a few elements are slightly watered-down, Hollywood-ized, Americanized – but there is no outright wrecking, ruining, or childhood raping going on here. All things considered it is shockingly faithful to the source material, at times reading like a flat-out transcript/description of the animated movie, and even incorporating aspects of the original manga that were left out of the anime version. It is faithful not only in plot and character details, but in tone. It retains the darkness, the violence, the epic qualities and even some of the themes, though they’ve been tweaked, Americanized, and updated to apply to current events. They are also maybe a bit less complex, but still this is admirable. This adaptation actually retains a lot of the style and, more surprisingly, substance of the original. If you are already a fan, you will probably like this adaptation, because a lot of the same things are good about it.

The other side of that coin, though, is that it’s not bringing many fresh ideas or perspectives on the material to the table. What I love about good remakes or adaptations, what in fact makes some of them good, is that they are opportunities for artists with distinct voices and visions to take already existing works and re-interpret them, pay respect to them but use them to say new things and make them their own. There is very little of that happening here. Don’t get me wrong, as much as I’m talking about how faithful it is, a lot of that reaction is due to my surprise that it’s not a complete bastardization. We’re not exactly talking Gus Van Sant’s Psycho levels of slavishness here. But it’s not a particularly fresh take either. Neither infuriatingly dumbed-down nor invigoratingly creative and exciting, it just kind of exists - at least as a script.

It’ll be interesting to see if the filmmakers take a similarly faithful approach to the film’s visual style, or if they introduce a new vision to Akira while maintaining a similar storyline. Director Ruairi Robinson, who makes his directorial debut with Akira, is certainly no stranger to post-apocalyptic filmmaking, as is evident in his recent short film The Silent City:

Even the stars look brighter tonight - Nothing's Impossible
If you believe in love at first sight - Nothing's Impossible
I still believe in love at first sight - Nothing's Impossible // Nothing's Impossible - Depeche Mode 2005

* Lyssnar på just nu * Delar med mig * Twitter * DinoRPG *
Forumets kak- tårt- & glass monster ;)
>>Årets Kvinnliga Medlem 2006, 2007 & 2008<< >>Årets Moderator 2007 & 2008<<
>>Årets Shoppingkompass (=Årets Garv) 2009<<

Esseffennälg (pop.) - Skrivs egentligen SFN-älg och är en ytterst sällsynt ras av älg som enbart finns i vilt tillstånd på Sci-Fi Nytt.
Enstaka exemplar kan hittas också på Tv-land, men de brukar snabbt bli förvirrade och skynda sig tillbaka till Sci-Fi Nytt.

...och eftersom jag är karl kan jag inte multitaska och hålla två olika parallela universum i skallen samtidigt.

...jag förberedde mig på det värsta: dvs ett episkt prettodrama som Wylie och Synon antagligen skulle sucka nöjt över.

#3 Cartman

Cartman

Deputy Admiral

• Aktiv member
  • 10,210 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 12:38

Detta tror jag vad jag vill på, först när jag ser lite mer vad dom tänker göra. Man ska betänka att Katsuhiro Ôtomos anime inte är den bästa filmatiseringen av mangan då man var tvungen att ta bort på tok för mycket. Undrar om dom menar att manuset är troget animen eller mangan?

Här är en glädjande nyhet.

Leonardo DiCaprio Updates Akira And Ninja Scroll Status, Won’t Star In Either Film

Edited by Cartman, 11 November 2008 - 12:40.

#4 XC

XC

«Thundermoose.»

• Admin
  • 19,025 posts
  • Interests:TV, Film, Böcker, Science Fiction, Fantasy, Undvika soliga dagar, datorer, internet, retro teknoligi och din senaste post!

Posted 15 June 2009 - 11:45

Bloggywood uppger att två separata källor uppger att det här projektet är dött.

fqq5BYam.jpg

Du skall inte lyssna på vad jag säger; du skall fatta vad jag menar.

»Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.« (Samuel Beckett)

#5 Synon

Synon

Voff!

• SuperMod
  • 7,770 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 11:33

Nu ska amerikanerna ta sig an mangan "Akira" (Katsuhiro Otomo) och göra en live-action film av det som kommer att utspela sig på New Manhattan, USA. Seriens skapare, Katsuhiro Otomo, ligger även bakom den animerade filmen från 1988 med samma namn. Jag gillade 80-tals filmen och kan ju bara inte låta bli att se den amerikanska när den väl kommer ut.

"Akira" is based on anime artist Katsuhiro Otomo's six-volume graphic novel masterwork. The film is said to take place in "New Manhattan," a metropolis that was rebuilt after being destroyed 31 years ago. The famous motorcycle will also definitely be a part of the film.

I huvudrollen som Tetsuo ryktas det om att Robert Pattinson, Andrew Garfield och James McAvoy fått erbjudandet. Och i rollen som Kaneda sägs Garrett Hedlund, Michael Fassbender, Chris Pine, Justin Timberlake och Joaquin Phoenix vara intressanta. Nu senast läste jag att Keanu Reeves för samtal med Warner Bros. gällande rollen som Kaneda... Vet att många inte gillar den mannen, men jag tycker han har sina ögonblick.

Nåja, för regin står i alla fall Albert Hughes för. Jag känner mest igen honom från filmerna "The Book of Eli (2010)" och "From Hell (2001)" som han regisserade och de lämnade inga större avtryck hos undertecknad. Inte så att de var urkackiga filmer, men inga som hamnat på min 10-i-topp-lista om jag säger så. :) Just ja, Mark Fergus, Hawk Ostby, Gary Whitta, och Steve Kloves är de som putsar manuset.

Akira (2013) på imdb

Källor: Deadline och Comingsoon

Beviset för att intelligent liv finns i rymden är att de inte har kontaktat oss än.

Filmtipset | Live Long and Prosper

We are Apple. Lower your minds and surrender your wallets. We will add our biological and technological distinctiveness to you. Culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.

#6 Garm

Garm

Rear Admiral

• SuperMod
  • 3,785 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 12:12

Det finns redan en äldre tråd sedan tidigare.

#7 Synon

Synon

Voff!

• SuperMod
  • 7,770 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 19:38

Wylie! Georgia! To the rescue!

Beviset för att intelligent liv finns i rymden är att de inte har kontaktat oss än.

We are Apple. Lower your minds and surrender your wallets. We will add our biological and technological distinctiveness to you. Culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.

#8 Synon

Synon

Voff!

• SuperMod
  • 7,770 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 07:55

Alla ni som inte gillar Keanu Reeves kan andas ut: han har tackat nej till rollen..

#9 Den Gröne Hämnaren

Den Gröne Hämnaren

l'Empereur des Lumières

• 2,579 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 10:49

#10 Synon

Synon

Voff!

• SuperMod
  • 7,770 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 04:29

Regissören Albert Hughes har hoppat av pga "creative differences". Hm, får väl se vad som händer härnäst.

Källa: Blastr

#11 PredaBot

PredaBot

Rear Admiral

• 2,983 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 16:34

Låter ju inte så särskilt lovande, om vi säger som så...

Kan ni tänka er att jag inte har sett Anime-filmen än? =) Får ta och införskaffa den till nästa gång man har systern på besök, då Animé alltid känns enklare intaget i sällskap av andra.

#12 Synon

Synon

Voff!

• SuperMod
  • 7,770 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 07:55

PredaBot: har du sett den nu?

Ny regissör har anslutit sig till projektet, Jaume Collet-Serra. Tidigare har han regisserat "House of Wax", "Goal II: Living the Dream", "Orphan" och "Unknown". "Orphan" har jag sett och den är riktigt bra, men sen har vi ju "House of Wax"... Lite som dag och natt kan jag tycka... Lite osäker på vad han kan tillföra denna remake. Kan det bli bra?

Källa: THR

#13 PredaBot

PredaBot

Rear Admiral

• 2,983 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 21:23

Har tyvärr inte sett den ännu... har inte riktigt varit läge, helt enkelt. :(

#14 Georgia

Georgia

Synthare

• SuperMod
  • 15,336 posts
  • Interests:Depeche Mode
    Sci-Fi
    Fantasy

Posted 20 October 2011 - 20:52

Mer info har dykt upp

‘Akira’ Gets Green Light, Eyes Garrett Hedlund As Lead

There’s no going back now. This past July, when we heard that the live-action "Akira" project had just secured a director in Spain’s Jaume Collet-Serra ("Orphan"), we were ready to start picking favorites from a proposed list of famous faces to fill its roles.
But now that the adaptation of Katsuhiro Otomo's 8-volume manga has officially received the green light, as Variety reports, studios can finally begin a serious hunt for the story’s main characters, Kaneda and Tetsuo... and according to Variety’s sources, "Tron Legacy" actor Garrett Hedlund is already speeding swiftly towards one of those lead roles.

Hedlund was among a list of actors reportedly being considered for the role of Kaneda as early as July. Also on that list were older A-list stars Keanu Reeves and Joaquin Phoenix, whose only real involvement with the project, it turns out, may have been to earn some press for the conflicted adaptation.
Robert Pattinson and Andrew Garfield were among names thrown around for Tetsuo. No word on who Collet-Serra and studio executives plan on pursuing, but animated “Akira” fans know a post-transformation Tetsuo may be exactly what Pattinson needs to effectively erase public perception of his much infatuated-over "Twilight" Edward persona.
Katsuhiro Otomo, who also wrote and directed 1988’s animated "Akira," cult-revered by Anime and animation fans alike, is set to executive produce the live-action film.

Even the stars look brighter tonight - Nothing's Impossible
If you believe in love at first sight - Nothing's Impossible
I still believe in love at first sight - Nothing's Impossible // Nothing's Impossible - Depeche Mode 2005

* Lyssnar på just nu * Delar med mig * Twitter * DinoRPG *
Forumets kak- tårt- & glass monster ;)
>>Årets Kvinnliga Medlem 2006, 2007 & 2008<< >>Årets Moderator 2007 & 2008<<
>>Årets Shoppingkompass (=Årets Garv) 2009<<

Esseffennälg (pop.) - Skrivs egentligen SFN-älg och är en ytterst sällsynt ras av älg som enbart finns i vilt tillstånd på Sci-Fi Nytt.
Enstaka exemplar kan hittas också på Tv-land, men de brukar snabbt bli förvirrade och skynda sig tillbaka till Sci-Fi Nytt.

...och eftersom jag är karl kan jag inte multitaska och hålla två olika parallela universum i skallen samtidigt.

...jag förberedde mig på det värsta: dvs ett episkt prettodrama som Wylie och Synon antagligen skulle sucka nöjt över.

#15 Synon

Synon

Voff!

• SuperMod
  • 7,770 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 00:23

Warner Bros har lagt filmen på is....

http://www.slashfilm...ner-bros-budget